Ecology, Environment and Conservation Paper

Vol.13, Issue 2, 2007; Page No.(205-213)

SPECIATION OF TRACE METALS IN THE SURFACE SEDIMENTS OF CHITRAPUZHA, A TROPICAL TIDAL RIVER ON THE SOUTHWEST COAST OF INDIA

P.V. Joseph and Jacob Chacko

Abstract

The observed order of abundance was Zn > Ni > Cu > Pb.The speciation studies indicated selective accumulation of various metals in different phases of the sediments with spatial variability. Residual phase was found to be the prominent metal host for all metals. In the case of Pb, the residual phase accounted for 64% of the total Pb. Oxidizable phase was the second most important host for all the metals. Cu behaved in a different manner. Oxidizable phase was as significant as residual in the case of Cu. For Zn, all the geochemical phases were of comparable significance as metal host. 63% of total Zn was found to be in the environmentally labile fractions leaving only 37% in the residual fraction. Metal fractions of all the metals recorded comparatively higher concentrations in the industrial zone (zone 3) indicating anthropogenic inputs in this region. Metals generally showed lower concentrations for metal fractions at bar-mouth (station I).

Enter your contact information below to receive full paper.
Your Name :
Email:
Phone:
City:
Cost of Full Paper: Rs.75 for Indian Nationals or $20 (USD) for international subscribers.
By clicking on Request Paper you Agree to pay the above mentioned cost per paper.
  
Journal Issues
Vol 25, May Suppl. Issue, 2019
Vol 25, April Suppl. Issue, 2019
Vol 25, Issue 1 2019
Vol 24, Issue 4 2018
Vol 24, Issue 3 2018
Vol 24, Issue 2 2018
Vol 24, Issue 1 2018
Vol 24, March Suppl. Issue 2018
Vol 24, Feb. Suppl. Issue 2018
Vol 23, Issue 4, 2017
Vol 23, Nov. Suppl. Issue 2017
Vol 23, Sept. Suppl. Issue 2017
Vol 23, Issue 2, 2017
Vol 23, Issue 3, 2017
Vol 23, Issue 1, 2017
Vol 23, Feb 2017 Suppl. Issue
Vol 22, Dec 2016 Suppl. Issue
Vol 22, Issue 4, 2016
Vol 22, Sept. Suppl. Issue , 2016
Vol 22, Issue 3, 2016
Vol. 22, June Suppl. Issue 2016
Vol 22, Issue 2, 2016
Vol. 22, April Suppl. Issue 2016
Vol 22, Issue 1, 2016
Vol 21, Issue 4, 2015
Vol. 21 Dec. 2015 Suppl. Issue
Vol. 21 Nov. 2015 Suppl. Issue
Vol 21, Issue 3, 2015
Vol 21, Issue 2, 2015
Vol. 21 Suppl.Issue August 2015
Vol 21.Suppl.Issue June 2015
Vol 21, Issue 1, 2015
Supplement Issue, Dec. 2014
Special Issue-2014
Vol 20, Issue 4, 2014
Vol 20, Issue 3, 2014
Vol 20, Issue 2, 2014
Vol. 20 Issue 01, 2014
Vol. 19 Issue 04, 2013
Vol. 19 Issue 03, 2013
Vol. 19, Issue 02, 2013
Vol. 19, Issue 01, 2013
Vol.18, Issue 04, 2012
Vol.18, Issue 3, 2012
Vol.18, Issue 2, 2012
Vol.18, Issue 1, 2012
Vol.17, Issue 4, 2011
Vol.17, Issue 3, 2011
Vol.17, Issue 2, 2011
Vol.17, Issue 1, 2011
Vol.16, Issue 4, 2010
Vol.16, Issue 3, 2010
Vol.16, Issue 2, 2010
Vol.16, Issue 1, 2010
Vol.15, Issue 04, 2009
Vol.15, Issue 03, 2009
Vol.15, Issue 02, 2009
Vol.15, Issue 1, 2009
Vol.14, Issue 04, 2008
Vol.14, Issue 2-3, 2008
Vol.14, Issue 2-3, 2008
Vol.14, Issue 1, 2008
Vol.14, Issue 2-3, 2008
Vol.13, Issue 04, 2007
Vol.13, Issue 2, 2007
Vol.13, Issue 1, 2007
Vol.12, Issue 4, 2006
Vol.12, Issue 3, 2006
Vol.12, Issue 2, 2006
Vol.12, Issue 1, 2006
Vol.12, Issue 01, 2006
Vol.11, Issue 3,4, 2005
Vol.11, Issue 2, 2005
Vol.11, Issue 1, 2005
Vol.10, Issue 04, 2004
Vol.10, Issue 03, 2004
Vol.10, Issue 02, 2004
Vol.10, Issue 01, 2004
Vol.09, Issue 04, 2003
Vol.09, Issue 03, 2003
Vol.09, Issue 02, 2003
Vol.08, Issue 04, 2002
Vol.08, Issue 03, 2002
Vol.08, Issue 01, 2002
Vol.07, Issue 04, 2001
Vol.07, Issue 03, 2001
Vol.07, Issue 02, 2001
Vol.07, Issue 01, 2001
Vol.06, Issue 04, 2000
Vol.06, Issue 03, 2000
Vol.06, Issue 02, 2000
Vol.06, Issue 01, 2000
Vol.05, Issue 04, 1999
Vol.05, Issue 03, 1999
Vol.05, Issue 02, 1999
Vol.05, Issue 01, 1999
Vol.04, Issue 1,2, 1998
Vol.03, Issue 3,4, 1997
Vol.03, Issue 01, 1997
Vol.02, Issue 1,2, 1996
Vol.01, Issue 14, 1995
Looking for Past Issues? Click here to get them!!